Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Moon Fucking River

Alright. Mom called today out of the blue. Of course I had just got done roasting a bowl, so I was good and high. Perfect for 'mom time.' Poured a cocktail and kicked it on the patio catching up on our holiday business and other things. We're pretty good at going 3 months without a phone call or email and pick right up. It's nice.
Anyway, she knows I'm in the middle of this book that I've hit the fucking wall on AGAIN. and she says, 'do you have your notes? I have some trivia for your book.'..'Yeah, I have it right here."
She says, "I thought you might want to know that mine and your dads song was 'Moon River' by Andy Williams, from around 1967."  That was it.
( Kind of funny that she knows that I have to make a note of something so easy to remember, because she knows I pretty much don't remember shit. ever.)
So we went on about some other facts I needed to get straight, the funniest one was in 1967 my soon to be dad was rolling around on some Honda 50 (basically scooter status) to pick my mom up for dates. Thats funny because the motherfucker was 6 foot 5inches tall...a true gentleman, but to big for that bike none the less.
Fast forward I guess, they were divorced by the time I was 2, and dad graduated to a Honda 1000 touring bike, with the stereo and fairing and all that. Which he later died on in Big Sur. Ironically my mom is the one that had to call with the news and all that shit. (They had been divorced a good 20 years by then.) Not important right now, but what was cool is that she called to tell me that she was thinking about the song 'Moon River' today.
45 years later she still claims that love.
And now I can't get the damn song out of my head.  But at least I have my notes, and might be able to do a little writing again.
Sidenote: a friend of mine sent me something about not forcing shit. Man, you were right, and so was Old man Chuck.


 Mom and Dad and my usual scowl fresh from Hawaii in 1970.

No comments:

Post a Comment